Five Tips for Being a Stronger Leader
Throughout 2018, we have worked closely with BNI Members and BNI Directors from across the organization to understand how we can best support YOUR success. And your responses to surveys in SuccessNet have provided valuable insights and ideas – thank you so much for taking the time to answer the CEO Surveys when we have them. I share them with BNI leaders around the world. And my thanks to the Members and Directors on BNI’s various advisory groups who are leading the organization forward.
- Lead by example: Even when no one is watching – act like everyone is watching.
- Communicate early and often: Your employees are your most important stakeholders. Be as transparent and clear as possible. Share your vision and lessons you’ve learned. Celebrate successes. And remember, communication is a two-way process. Seek feedback and encourage conversation whenever you can.
- Choose your team carefully: Invest in people who have varying skill sets. Recognize and utilize each of their strengths. The team of people you surround yourself with will be the ones who determine your success.
- Encourage productivity: Start meetings on time. State your goals, and stick to an agenda, when possible. Encourage everyone to contribute – not only the ‘loud’ voices in the room. Trust your team to be productive, and work hard, throughout the day.
- Have fun: While business is certainly serious, the best leaders know how to build excitement and have fun with their teams. Creating a positive and fun culture is important!
While there are several leadership styles, one of the most important qualities of a good leader is to lead by example. Work hard. Make smart choices. Hold yourself accountable. Be humble, and approachable. Show compassion. These are traits that employees and peers will admire.